Friday, November 2, 2007

The Creature

It has been a long, rough journey for everyone thus far. We have been riding most of the day and the night was creeping over the horizon. One of the pilgrims up ahead suggested we set up camp for the night. I jumped off my horse to unsaddle. My son groomed the horses as I began to set up a small fire to cook a bite to eat. He sat down next to me as I began to cook the meat. I broke off a piece of bread and handed it to him. “Father,” he said to me, “When will I become a knight?” he asked. “Sooner than you think.” I replied. After eating I laid my head back, and fell asleep. I woke up hours later, the moon still glowing bright in the sky. The horses seemed to be terribly frightened by something in the woods. I stood up very slowly and tried to calm them. I peered into the dark nothingness of the woods. I could hear stiff branches breaking and leaves rustling. It was moving closer at a surprising rate. I stepped back, not taking my eyes off the woods. “Son, wake up!” I whispered loudly. The noise was at the edge of the woods now, moving fast. “Son!” I yelled. He woke up and stared at me. “My sword, get my sword!” The boy jumped to his feet and ran for the sword. Just then, the beast bounded from the woods and attacked me, I landed on my back as the creature roared. The pilgrims all began to wake up. “It’s a bear!” Some one screamed. “Son! Help!” The boy ran to my assistance with the sword he could barely raise and sliced the beast on the back. It groaned and roared, and went for my son. Though injured, I got to my feet and ran after the great monster. As it lunged towards my son grabbed the dagger from my boot and brought the demon down, just in time.

No comments: